10 February 2011

Butterflies in my stomach

So, you know that feeling you get when you're nervous? That butterflies flying, elephants stomping, kinda feel like you're going to throw up kind of feeling? Some people hate it, others, like myself, thrive on it. It's an adrenaline rush, and those adrenaline junkies, like me, can't seem to wait for the next hit.  Now, I'm not a mega junkie -- as in, I wouldn't risk my life just to feel my heart beat, and in actuality, in the moment, I'm not always a big fan. Shaky hands, giddy laughs, quick paced glances to the right and left, along with the urge to run to the bathroom every second the clock ticks are not always the nicest feelings in the world.

I often find myself in situations where I just have to laugh. I have no reason and no idea why I'm nervous sometimes. I just excited over little things apparently. The thought of seeing a cute boy, the impending conversation coming from a superior, a spectacular set of plans for an evening ... all of these are often enough to get my skin jumping. It's strange how our body works that so many outside things can inflict such a physical reaction, and sometimes they aren't even outside sources, sometimes they're all made up, in my head.

When I write I get excited. When I come up with a really good idea I get excited. When I daydream I get excited. The body is not reliable to tell you what's actually going on. "The heart is deceitful above all else," is often a verse I have to force myself to remember. Emotions can get you into trouble. How many times have I listened to my emotions and regretted it later?

Next time you get butterflies in your stomach, ask those butterflies "Why, oh butterflies, have you decided to take up my stomach as your home? Isn't it much nicer outside?" Maybe, just maybe, they'll listen and you will no longer be affected by those pesky flutterbies ... if not, enjoy them, but don't do anything they tell you to do! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment