23 August 2017

5 Days?!

So here I am - just 5 super short days before I will have students in my room for year 5 at Palmyra Area Middle School ...

... and I am FREAKING out.

Today is Wednesday (although my days are all sorts of crazy messed up right now), and I spent 10+ (voluntary) hours in my classroom both Monday and Tuesday with several items still living on my to do list. Today I spent the day in meetings and working on documents for the first day of school - completely ignoring my classroom. I anticipate tomorrow will be similar to today - leaving few precious minutes for work time in my room.

Please don't get me wrong - I LOVE this time of year - new school years bring new beginnings and new students with new personalities and interests. 


I remember when I was younger someone telling me that if I thought life was flying by then, just wait a few years and it would be even faster. Whelp, whoever that was certainly had their facts straight because I cannot tell you another summer that flew by as quickly as this one did. I am amazed to know that in five (yes, count them, FIVE) days I will be welcoming brand new classes of 7th graders into my language arts classroom.

The feeling is wonderful and nauseating all at the same time. I don't know if I want to laugh or puke, but either way, here we go.

Life has a funny way of giving you a gushing waterfall or a mirage in the desert - never just a steady babbling stream in the forest. The end of the summer has been a whirlwind of emotions with new friends, new adventures, new responsibilities and new classrooms - all crammed into the last 2 weeks before school starts. It is an interesting case to be sure. 

I am sure that looking back many years from now, I will have had several more weeks even crazier than these past few, but right now, in the moment, I can't imagine life getting any fuller or busier than it is right at this moment. 

As I sit here and write, with my comforting Star Wars blu-ray playing in the background (complete with the gorgeous Han Solo alive and well in his younger years), I finally find myself breathing normally and taking a second for myself. These past 3 days have felt like both an eternity as well as just a few fleeting moments, but all the same, they are here and gone and never coming back.

So here is to making the most of these last 5 days - getting the rest of my classroom organized and prepared for its coming inhabitants, spending time with my dear precious family, and adventuring with new friends - these days will never be here again, and as someone just recently told me, it's best to make the most out of life. Grab life by the horns and do all you can to hang on for the ride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment