29 June 2020

Summertime

Well, it finally feels like summer, even though the kickoff was extremely anti-climactic in comparison this year.

Having been teaching from home since the middle of March, and feeling things wind down much quicker than normal, gliding into summer was just that: gliding.

So, officially for me, summer began the week of June 8th, but it's taken until about this past week (June 22-26th) to really feel that summer has kicked in.

This summer is the first one in several years that I haven't taken graduate classes, and with the Covid-19 pandemic still raging, I don't have a summer job this year either. So, after two weeks of no school work, no grad work, and no part-time work, I finally feel the "freedom" and openness of summer settling into my core. It is as if I hit the doldrums of the Phantom Tollbooth.

I realize in my time of stillness that I need to wake up each day with a purpose. Without one, I spend the day away, squandering opportunities for personal growth and accomplishment. I lay on the couch and waste the day, grumbling when the dogs ask to go out and counting down the moments until I have to make dinner and clean up the kitchen.

And that needs to change. I learned the hard lesson over the past few days/weeks that if I don't plan for the day and work toward completing that plan, I feel exhausted, lazy, and restless. So I'm crafting a list of goals that I can work toward daily, with hopes of by the end of the summer, I will be able to look back and see that, not only have I completed something, but I lived each day with purpose.

And that is the real challenge.

So here we go - no waiting until tomorrow; no waiting for the "right moment;" each second counts; every day matters; I want to make the most of each day.

Here's my creation for the day. A Summertime poem:


Summertime is 
sunshine and raindrops
sneak-attack puppy kisses
the smell of fresh basil and spearmint
clinging to my fingers.
It's squeaky toys 
and back-yard barks.
It's hazy days
and lazy afternoons
full of daydreams
and imagination creations.
It's playing for wins
and reading as many books as I can.
It's no schedule somedays
and crazy errand other days.
It's family game nights 
and backyard bbqs;
it's staying up way too late
and roasting marshmallows 
until they're gooey.
It's play dates with the little nuggie
and watching her grow.
It's rocking jean shorts
and saltwater curls,
flip flops
and flowy tank tops.
It's bright colors
and radiant sunshine
and hope as far 
as the eye can see.
It's days that never seem to end
and nights that last just as long.
It's the one moment 
when the world stands still
 and breathes in deep
just to smell the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment